Friday, June 24, 2011

Book Review: Stork by Wendy Delsol

Stork by Wendy Delsol

Reading Level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 357 pages
Publisher: Candlewick (October 12, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 9780763648442
ISBN-13: 978-0763648442
Source: Purchased from Amazon.com
Cover: The cover is kind of ironic since Kat hates cold but also perfect since she is in a very cold climate. I love the intense look on the girl's face and the light blonde hair. This is really eye catching cover, especially with the icy blues and bright red lettering.
First Sentence: "One minute I was fine, and the next it felt like an army of fire ants was marching across my head."

Mini-review: Blending Norse mythology and the modern day world, Stork is one heck of a good time that will have most paranormal buffs out of their comfort zone and loving it!

Book summary:

Family secrets. Lost memories. And the arrival of an ancient magical ability that will reveal everything. 

Sixteen-year-old Katla LeBlanc has just moved from Los Angeles to Minnesota. As if it weren’t enough that her trendy fashion sense draws stares, Katla soon finds out that she’s a Stork, a member of a mysterious order of women tasked with a very unique duty. But Katla’s biggest challenge may be finding her flock at a new school. Between being ignored by Wade, the arrogant jock she stupidly fooled around with, and constantly arguing with gorgeous farm boy and editor-in-chief Jack, Katla is relieved when her assignment as the school paper’s fashion columnist brings with it some much-needed friendship. But as Homecoming approaches, Katla uncovers a shocking secret about her past — a secret that binds her fate to Jack’s in a way neither could have ever anticipated. With a nod to Hans Christian Andersen and inspired by Norse lore, Wendy Delsol’s debut novel introduces a hip and witty heroine who finds herself tail-feathers deep in small-town life.
Book Review


Stork yanked me out of my paranormal comfort zone (you know, vampires and werewolves) and into a rich world steeped in Nordic legends. I was lost and loving every single detail I could soak up on off-beaten path. Katla was a take charge character, the small town Minnesota felt like home and the cast of characters were as rich and diverse as the legends in the story. Stork was an absolute pleasure!


The thing that set Kat apart for me was her willingness to accept what she was, When it is revealed that she is a stork, instead of denying it, she sort of just goes with it. I wish she'd been a little more inquisitive about what her powers actually mean but it was nice to see a character not freak out. It was also nice because she was pretty open-minded. Instead of shunning everyone, she welcomed friendship with Penny and even put herself out there. Her sarcasm and quick-wit provided some laugh out loud moments and her passion for fashion was fueled in every decision she made.


Because of Kat's love of all things runway, it provided a lot of comedy and contrast between her and Jack. Their relationship was sweet and I really liked how opposite they were.Jack was simple, Kat complicated. Jack liked the cold, Kat didn't. They worked well as a pair, alike enough to be attracted to each other but different enough to challenge each other. The ladies of the Stork Society were great. Hulda is one of the endearing memorable characters and I loved listening to her advice and watching it play out. In a lot of ways, she replaced Kat absent amma (grandmother) who had passed. Grim was delightfully strict and poor Penny for having her as a guardian. I loved watching Penny's confidence grow as the novel continued and she was a great friend to Kat. Even the little town where Kat lived was like a character, rich in history and lovably familiar.


The mythology in the novel was by far its shining star. I'm not familiar with Norse mythology and while I found it frustrating that I didn't know much (I kept feeling like I was missing clues) it was also very interesting to learn it. One minor problem I had with the story was I felt like some of the words were unnecessarily complex and took away my enjoyment a little bit. I felt like some of their meaning was lost on me and it pulled me out of the story.


Stork is definitely a novel you'll want to traverse. Like a snowy field, it is straightforward but upon closer inspection the detailing and magic sparkle. With an able lead, fun characters and an amazing setting, Stork shines. The mythology will capture you and Kat's journey will hold you. I loved this one!


Rating:


6 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I loved the characters, and the story was so unique. I love it when books bring in less popular mythology stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember absolutely loving this book! Can't wait for Frost. :) And I agree with all that you said, but it is a warning signal for me to re-read before Frost comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cass, I actually have the ending of this book written up for my Happily Never Endings. You can check out that post when it's up for a refresher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! Norse mythology's fascinating to me because they were very death-obsessed and their stories are always filled with blood & violence. I have FROST on my Kindle (from NetGalley) but I want to read STORK first...going to have to get it, especially after your review. Thanks!
    Happy reading,
    Mary @ Book Swarm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't going to read this series... Frost comes out soon doesn't it??

    UGH! Fine... you talked me into it!

    The Bookish Brunette

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you enjoyed Stork! I read it last year and fell head over heels for it ^-^ Can't wait to read my ARC of Frost!

    Great review!!!

    www.blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen