Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Read in 2012

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week, they post a subject and the goal is to answer the question with your top ten picks. Once you've done it, link back to The Broke and the Bookish and check out what other bloggers have to say!
Top Ten Books I Read in 2012
Here are my favorite reads of 2012 in no particular order.

1) Insurgent by Veronica Roth- This is the stunning sequel to Divergent and it surprised me with every delightful twist and bend in the road. In my review I called it "toe-curling, mind-blowing perfection" and that pretty much nails it for me.

2) Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi- I feel in love with the rich world that Rossi created and the two very different leads she chose to inhabit it. In my review I say that "there is something new and incredible to discover on each page". Pages melted away as I raced through this stellar debut.

3) Incarnate by Jodi Meadows- "The perfect start to what promises to be an exciting fantasy" is how I describe this novel. I loved that Incarnate felt magical without feeling completely unbelievable and I love the idea of soul being born into different bodies and how horrified everyone is when one person is "new".

4) Fracture by Megan Miranda- I said in my review that Fracture is "unputdownable". For such a short novel, the characters and the mystery really get under your skin. Plus, I fell in love with Delaney and Decker's best friend turned romantic relationship.

5) Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson- some people have called this novel slow and I can see where they'd get that. But this novel is so beautifully written and so poignant, it sticks with long after you've read the last bittersweet sentence. I'll forever be dreaming of the wild Neverland Anderson created and the even wilder boy who stole Tiger Lily's heart.

6) Defiance by C.J. Redwine-I find it hard to put into words the brilliance of this novel. For me it was everything about Defiance that made me love it--the main characters, the dueling perspectives, the supporting characters and the plot. Everything surprised me about this one and I just kept wanting to read it. 

7) Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake- This definitely makes the life because it says goodbye in such a glorious and satisfying way to some of my favorite characters ever. I call Cas like "both Winchester boys mixed together from Supernatural" which totally makes him a favorite. RIP Cas, Anna, Thomas and Carmel.

8) Everneath by Brodi Ashton- I loved that this was a retelling of mythology and I mention in my review that "even though you know where this story is heading from the beginning, you still race to the end to see if the main characters can figure out a way to beat fate". I loved this one!

9) The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke- Wildly imaginative for such a short novel, I feel in love with the settings and characters pretty much instantly. I've never met a YA heroine like Ananna before who is so rough around the edges and I love how her coarseness collided with Naji's swift, intelligent nature. These two were the perfect pair, a pirate and a ninja.

10) The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting- Another stellar novel in this stellar series, I loved how Violet truly had to rely on herself in this one. The killer was way more intense, her problems bigger and her will to survive strongest yet. With a much more diverse cast of characters and a twist that will keep your heart racing, this book was awesome!

Which amazing reads made your list?

7 comments:

  1. Fracture was beautiful, and in my opinion very underrated. I've never read about the supernatural power written about in that book before or since. It was very interesting and very different, and so so sad.

    Bekka
    Pretty Deadly Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were really into dystopians this year, I see. Also, a lot of those books came out in like, January and February, right? So all your favs came out early and it all went downhill after that. lol But I totally agree about THE ASSASSIN'S CURSE. Like, holy moly! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read Under the Never Sky and it made it onto my list as well, but there's a lot of others here that I hope to read soon!

    My TTT: http://nightmareonbookstreet.blogspot.com/2012/12/top-ten-tuesday-2012-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incarnate is on my list as well. I loved that book. I have Girl of Nightmares out from the library. I don't want it to end which is probably why I haven't read it yet.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved Incarnate! I need to get Everneath & Defiance really soon--I've been looking forward to them both. I can't believe I haven't read Divergent yet...it's slightly embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED Everneath and Defiance. Such great books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing...I am trying to compile my list for a post soon. I also adored "Under the Never Sky"....so often I find books simply do not live up to their hype but this one went above and beyond. I had it laying by the bedside for a few weeks but once I picked it up one night, I never put it down until daylight came and the book was done. Fabulously original and well written book. I can't wait until January 8th!

    Courtney
    Stiletto Storytime

    ReplyDelete

Thinking of writing something below? Well, that's why you are awesome! I always love feedback!

This blog is an award free zone. With the demand of a full time job, blogging time is becoming much more precious and I just don't have the time to meet the demands of awards. Thanks so much for thinking of me anyway!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Impossible Things kit by Studio Tangie and Rebecca McMeen